Our Vision: 2010-2020
Indianapolis is a model city for animal welfare in
its ability to balance safety in its neighborhoods with the humane
treatment of its animals. As a result of significant collaboration among
City agencies responsible for public safety and the Indianapolis Animal
Welfare Alliance, the community has become informed and engaged in
helping Indianapolis achieve the following:
- Pets and all animals are valued and respected,
and their importance has been interwoven into the fabric of our
- Pet owners and caretakers provide humane treatment and adequate care for their animals.
- Neighborhoods are safe places to live and play, free from aggressive animals.
- There is a safe haven for all animals and all shelters are safe havens.
- No animal is euthanized for space.
- Abuse, neglect, animal fighting, and abandonment are not
tolerated by our residents and these behaviors are readily reported.
When authorities must step in, they receive respect for the work they
- Shelters are scarcely populated, and all adoptable animals quickly go to responsible homes.
- Due to awareness of and easy access to low-cost spay
neuter resources, both private and public, there are few unwanted
litters, and fewer resources are needed for animal control.
- As a result of effective targeting of direct assistance
and humane education, pet owners become more responsible rather than
dependent on assistance.
- The City has made animal welfare one of its cornerstones
for residential quality of life and allocates adequate resources and
progressive ordinances to allow for an animal friendly landscape to
support the goals and efforts of the Indianapolis Animal Welfare